Sonntag, 3. April 2011

PAM GLEW

For some people national flags are boring and they are not interested in how they look. When it comes to this artist, it’s quite different. National flags are a fundamental feature of Pam Glew’s art - thus she became known for.
She uses an unique technique of bleaching and deconstructs her flags to a masterpiece by painting and sewing it with old materials. Her current exhibition "Circus" could have been admired until the 2nd December 2010 in London at the Red Bull Studios. 

Your last exhibition is called Circus - Tell us how did it go? What are your impressions?
The show was the biggest solo project I’ve had so far: 17 original paintings, two prints, a t-shirt edition and a nice glossy catalogue! It really did fulfil my expectations and the opening night had a real buzz around it. Circus was my 5th solo show, and I've already had one solo show in London. So in some ways I felt like I had to outdo myself, I wanted to make my best work yet. The private view was awesome, full of people that have supported me in my work, lots of mates and press and collectors, it was a truly special event and luckily was held a week before the snow hit London!

Why did you choose the name Circus?
I started off looking at the 1960s. As a result I looked at icons like Edie Sedgwick and Twiggy. These enigmatic figures
looked like circus performers: the make-up, the clothes. They did seem like mysterious other-worldly figures, like performers in a travelling circus.

Does this exhibition differ from your past exhibitions?
In a way, the people in the portraits are more recognisable than in other exhibitions I've had, and it was quite gratifying that most people recognised who's who.

We can see a lot of famous people in your art, e.g. Kate Moss and Michael Jackson? What is the reason for choosing these icons?
I think I use icons as a symbol of our time. The person that we relate to an era says a lot about our collective contemporary culture. The people that we admire has a lot to do with beauty; both aesthetics and wonder in physical abilities and mastery of skill. So I think I try to explore why we admire certain icons, by painting them and watching people’s reaction to those paintings. I'm listening and reflecting pop culture and putting it back out there.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen